Content is one of the most important marketing strategies for any business, regardless of their size. Big businesses that operate at hundreds of locations at once need to create more generic content. However, local businesses and start ups that run in one to two cities should focus on targeted content.
If you are a small business, your content should be personalised so that your audience can feel connected to you. It should raise awareness, promote discovery, foster comparison between you and your competition and encourage sales. Content is a big way to get a strong online presence. It gets the conversation started about your brand and increases traffic on your website. You can easily build trust and goodwill by creating custom content that will target your local audience or customers. Quality content with the use of appropriate keywords will up your ranks in SEO. It is in fact the most effective SEO technique. Content creation is approximately 60% less expensive than traditional marketing and generates 3 times more leads. It tells us your customers that you are an expert and know the ins and outs of the market.
If you are worried that customers will not read your content? Think again. Many statistics show that around 80% of people love to learn about companies by reading about them. 68% of online audience love to spend their time reading about their favourite brands.
Now that you know the importance of creating local content for your local audience, it is time to find out all the tools you can use to achieve your desired SEO ranking.
- Blogs are without a doubt one of the most important content creation tools. Through blogs you can easily write content that will have a direct impact on your local audience or customer. Other than blogs, there are many other ways you can attract local customers. Some of them are-
- Video – you can easily post a video explaining your brand to all your social media handles.
- Email – you should always remember to get the email of your customers and potential customers. You can inform them about the latest news on your business.
- Ads – advertisements in newspapers, radio, pamphlets, tv are still responsible for a lot of brand awareness and sales.
- Listings – people love reading top 10 and top 20 lists on the internet. You can also create content like this.
- Reviews – reviews matter a lot, especially if you are a new business.
- Other content tools that will help you a great deal in attracting traffic to your business are events, locations, service, news, images, websites and user generated data.
Now you know about all the tools you can use to create content, here are some ways that you can make your content great and get the local search traffic.
- Attract the right targeted audience- not every person on the internet is a potential customer. You have to make sure that your content reaches the right audience that will be interested in your brand or product. Age, gender, demographics are some of the key elements that you can use to reach your targeted audience.
- Establishing content marketing goals- make sure that you have marketing goals placed in your strategies. They may be your desired SEO ranking or the traffic on your social media pages. It is important that you see the results of your strategies after a period of time and if they match your goals. If not, it is time to change your game plan.
- Creative content ideas- your content should be different from that of your competitors. It is the way that the local audience will differentiate between all of you. Being on top of the latest trends, writing about social and environmental issues, organising community events, write about real life stories and incidents and any unique or viral idea that will compel the reader to read your content and share it with others.
When it comes to small businesses that depend on the locals for their success, local content marketing is the best way to promote your business. It will allow them to know your brand better and increase your credibility.